CERN – Survey Engineer
As a Survey Engineer you will join the Accelerator Survey & Geodetic measurements (ASG) section within the Beams Department (BE) is responsible for the geodetic and large-scale metrology measurements as well as the alignment of the accelerator components and their associated beam transfer lines for the whole CERN site. Furthermore, the ASG section is in charge of the acquisition and processing of high-accuracy point cloud data.
In this role, you will :
- Be responsible of the alignment of the SPS complex components and of the maintenance of the related geodetic networks;
- Define, prepare and perform high accuracy survey activities using total station and CERN specific equipment;
- Supervise the ‘field’ teams (including contractors);
- Take responsibility for the data processing using a 3D least squares adjustment application;
- Supervise and perform metrology measurements at all stages during the assembly of accelerator components using laser trackers;
- Be responsible of “as built” measurements of tunnels and buildings using laser scanner technology;
- Contribute to interfaces of the layout and survey database in preparation of new installations and alignment campaigns;
- Ensure data consistency between different databases by comparing information from different sources;
- Be involved in the testing process of survey software developed at CERN.
Skills and/or knowledge
- Experience in applying precision survey methods and tools (sub-millimetric) : total stations, optical/digital levels, laser tracker;
- Experience in standard compensation software: theories, concepts and algorithms related to the least square adjustment.
- Working in teams : works well in groups and readily fits into a team; participates fully and takes an active role in team activities
- Solving problems : identifies, defines and assesses problems, takes action to produces workable and timely solutions that meet requirements.
- Learning and sharing knowledge : willingness to learn and shares knowledge with others;
- Knowledge of Oracle PL SQL with structured query language to manipulate data would be an asset;
- Initial experience in reading and interpreting mechanical drawings would be an asset;
- Fluent in English, the ability to work in French would be an advantage.
- You are a national of a CERN Member or Associate Member State.
- You have a professional background in Survey engineer (or a related field) and have either:
- a Master’s degree with 2 to 6 years of post-graduation professional experience;
- or a PhD with no more than 3 years of post-graduation professional experience.
- You have never had a fellow or graduate contract before.
Job closing date: 10.07.2023 at 12:00 AM (midnight) CET.
Job reference: BE-GM-ASG-2023-22-GRAP
Contract duration: 24 months, with a possible extension up to 36 months maximum.
Target start date: 01-January-2024
This position requires:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
For more information click here