QUEST – Survey Engineer for FCC
The Beams Department (BE), who plays a key role in providing the world class scientific instruments needed for the experiments running at CERN, is looking for a Survey Engineer researcher to join their Geodetic Metrology Group.
The person will be responsible for the development of a multiple distance in-fiber measurement system using Fourier based Frequency Sweeping Interferometry for the Future Circular Collider (FCC) Project. In the FCC Machine Detector Interface (MDI) area, machine components will require a precise alignment and a deformation monitoring at a micrometric scale, in a very limited space. In order to fulfill space constraints, a special system, based on Frequency Scanning Interferometry (FSI) is being developed at CERN.
in this role, you will:
- participate in the development and qualification tests of the in-fibre FSI technology;
- prepare operational functional prototypes;
- study different ideas and concepts for the alignment of the arcs components.
Skills and/or knowledge
- Experience with design of high precision survey and micrometric alignment systems
- Experience in applying high-precision survey methods and tools
- Experience in Matlab/Python programming,
- Analytical skills
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships;
- Fluent in English, the ability to work in French would be an advantage.
- You are a national of a CERN Member or Associate Member State.
- You have a professional background in Survey Engineer (or a related field) and have either:
- a Master’s degree with 2 to 6 years of post-graduation professional experience;
- or a PhD with no more than 3 years of post-graduation professional experience.
- You have never had a fellow or graduate contract before.
Job closing date: 10.07.2023 at 12:00 AM (midnight) CET.
Job reference: BE-GM-HPA-2023-20-GRAP
Contract duration: 24 months, with a possible extension up to 36 months maximum.
Target start date: 01-September-2023
This position requires:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
For more information click here